Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Back In Business

I haven't touched this thing in a good five months. Many times I've thought, OH I should blog about this! Or, OH I haven't posted in so long but I have so much to say. I really have no major excuse of why it's been five months. Yes, I've been busy. There has been quite a big going on, however that makes for the best stories.

I contemplated doing one large post summing up all of the major events in the first half of this year. Instead I think I am just going to move forward, and if I'm having a slow day or week, I'll go back and tell one of the insane stories.

So...moving on. I'm in Seattle this week at SMX Advanced, a search marketing focused conference. This is my first time in Seattle, and while I've only seen about five blocks of the city so far, I do like what I've encountered. Yes, it's been gray and rainy since I landing on Monday, but still something about the place is intriguing.

My flight here was a little strange...was there a full moon Monday? People in the airports were crrrraaaaaabbbbY! Whoo. In Lambert before I left STL, one woman screamed at the Starbuck's people because they didn't have something she wanted in her drink- HOW DARE YOU NOT HAVE THIS, YOU ARE STARBUCKS. She stormed off after that little outburst, I'm sure to make her way down the terminal to scream at the next Starbuck's stand. I've been taking two Dramamine before my flights lately since my motion sickness has gotten worse- why? Needless to say, my flight from STL to SFO where I was connecting was delightful. In SFO, my American trip changed to Alaska Airlines, which I was not aware of since my ticket only said American. I had a short fifteen minutes of panic when I couldn't find my connection listed anywhere on the screens. I used one of the service phones to call American and that's when they told me I need Alaska Airlines. Okay, no problem. I only had an hour to connect, minus the 25 minutes I've now wasted, and Alaska was in a terminal about 20 minutes of walking away. I fly down there as fast as my short little legs would carry me, go through security again with an Asian man looking over my ID for so long I felt like I was breaking the law. I get to my gate and oh my goodness. The people in line to get on this plane smell. Bad. I'm leaving it at that and not going any further.

Boarding this flight, there was a woman in front of me with the window seat. Very cute little blonde woman, reminded me of my mom with her pink hat and shirt. A middle aged man with his mom were sitting in her row. This man started to scream at the pink lady that she needs to give up her seat to his mom because she can't move very well and would be more comfortable. At first, pink lady explained to him that she gets sick on planes and therefore needs to sit in her window seat, which she was assigned. He obviously didn't like not getting his way and continued to yell and berate her about how horrible she was that she wouldn't move for his mom. He was dumb. The dude couldn't think of any nasty names to call her except "skinny little thing." Whew, yes, that hurts a woman's feelings, let me tell you. I kind of wanted to pick a fight with him to get called skinny so I would feel better for the rest of the day. Pink lady finally got sick of this jerk and yelled back at him that she paid for this seat, she's sitting there because she gets sick flying. Good for pink lady!

We had to sit on the runway for an hour waiting in line to take off. The wind was so bad in San Fran that they closed two of the runways. The flight into Seattle was bumpy and by this time my Dramamine was wearing off. I stood at the baggage terminal for another hour to find out my luggage was left in SFO, it would be delivered on the next flight in (about an hour later) and delivered to my hotel.

Let me note here I left St. Louis at 10:30 that morning, and by this time it was 5:30in SEA, 7:30 in STL. I only had yogurt parfait for breakfast and some nuts on the plane. I made it to my hotel, which is a whole other story for another time, and caught my co-workers who arrived early for dinner. My luggage didn't show up until midnight SEA, 2:00 am STL time.

Talk about a long day.